We, and a growing majority of financial planners, see a flooring strategy using guaranteed income, as the right way to plan for retirement.
Putting a guarantee in place removes many pressures from a retirement nest egg.
Once a floor of guarantees is in place, we can optimize the remainder assets, and truly mitigate the wider range of risks that investors face when planning for retirement income. Guarantees remove pressure on assets, and increase flexibility and overall yield. When using guarantees…
- You remove the risk of market volatility affecting your day to day quality of life
- You eliminate sequence of return risk
- You remove longevity risk – the risk of outliving your assets- if you structure your income foundation properly
- You increase your ability to counter inflation by allowing remaining assets to be invested for growth
- By locking in income, you can safely afford to take investment risk with remaining assets.
- Portfolio wide safety increases, even if stock market allocation percentage increases, after locking in income.
- You help mitigate demographic and Governmental risk by reducing your reliance on unreliable subsidies and handouts.
A retirement supported by guaranteed income is one of safety, security, and peace of mind. And annuities offer just the sort of guarantees needed.
You might think I’m pushing it too far to talk about guaranteed income annuities producing overall happiness. But it is an actuarial fact that people who own annuities live on average 5 years longer than non-annuity owners. Are they happier, or just trying to stick it to the insurance companies? I’d like to think the added years of life are blissful and care free once money worries are eliminated from the equation.
The Wall Street Journal says it all in this article: “The Secret To A Happier Retirement: Friends, Neighbors and a Fixed Annuity”